Friday, November 13, 2009

The $50 Savers Challenge and Tips

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE thrift stores with a passion and I am always down for taking on a search for a day to find exactly what I am looking for or whatever might jump out at me.
Savers sent me a $50 gift certificate to see what I could find and I found A LOT! I am still so excited about what I have found and am receiving so many compliments.
But, before we get into what I bought. Let's cover a few bases that thrift shoppers should keep in mind.
1. Make sure you know if there are any extra discounts. Although thrift stores are supposed to be really great deals...some thrift stores are starting to hike up prices and know about brands etc. So, keep that in mind. Savers has a weekly color which offers half off and on Monday's that color gets all items for $1!!! That's something to not miss!
2. Check out all of the locations in your area to figure out which one has the best offerings. This is usually a pretty BIG thing to watch for since thrifting takes a lot of time and you want to make sure you are going to the right place to find your hidden treasures.
3. Don't jump for the name brand unless you know you will definitely be wearing it. I found a Dolce & Gabbana dress, but, I just knew I wouldn't wear it. I also found a jacket I had just seen at Nordstroms at the mall!!! But, I had to tell myself no---because I knew I was just reacting to seeing it at the mall full price!:)
4. Take note from above---some stores donate clothes, shoes and more to thrift stores---so it might even be BRAND NEW!
5. Go in with a list of what you have seen in the mags that you can find vintage or used...why not? Gives you a focus and if you find something while looking even better.
6. Try on, try on, try on...even if you have to try on over your clothes since it's not necessarily clean, you need to know if it fits.
7. SAVERS offers a great deal---if you donate items 1-or more:) you can get a $3 gift certificate to use there! Which works perfect to use on Monday's when it is dollar day for the color of the week! How can it not get any better than that? I am going on Monday now that I am unemployed to fill my time on a dime:)
Now, here's what I was lucky to find:
1. Bill Blass New York dress that I had personally sold last year for $695 now for: $10 in perfect condition! (It's at the dry cleaners...so here is the collection picture:)
2. Sequin jacket, which is all the rage right now. I wore it window shopping at J. Crew and the ladies said it reminded them of something they would sell:) But, I knew I paid much less. $10
3. Must-have a black, cashmere sweater! I feel like I can wear this high with a low back (which I can't wait to do!) or the way it is intended with a low neckline. $3.99
4. Velvet and blazers are everywhere this fall! I can't wait to wear this jacket with a skinny belt. Very J. Crew! $5.99
5. I have been wanting cropped tops so bad lately so this white blouse was a must for next spring. I think there will probably be days I can get away with it in Tucson during the winter "months" though:) $5.99
6. I feel like I want to live in cords this fall and I want to cut them all like fashion-y girl from Sea of Shoes. My hubby keeps saying I shouldn't...but, I think I HAVE to...I need every trouser I have to be ankle length for some reason:) $5.99
7. The rest of the cash was spent on 2 different black silk blouses that I am seeing sold at Urban Outfitters for at least $3o right now and a $2 Sex and the City game!:) I also went over the budget and bought a vintage Ungaro bag for $4.99 that I saw was selling on eBay for at least $50! woo-hoo:)

No comments: