Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Marie Claire Meets Nina Garcia in the New Year

I am LOVING all things Nina Garcia right now...after the first book, "The Little Black Book of Style," she had followed up in 2008 with her second book, "The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own."
I read through the book I received for Christmas from my mom on the trip from snowy Portland, OR to the warm Tucson, AZ and just gushed the whole way taking notes the entire time:)
I have to also add that I am LOVING Marie Claire more than ever now.  The January issue was my favorite January issue out of all of all of my fashion magazines.  All of the fashion spreads made me want to put together new looks in my closet that I hadn't thought of!
I have 3 FREE 1 year subscriptions to share with readers (from the AMAZING Shop it to Me gang!) that share what they are loving about Marie Claire right now!
Here are the notes I took in my Jori Labanda notebook with my new Cross pen:)  
Things I learned from Nina Garcia:
-Did you know: Missoni and Pucci were in the olympics?
-#52 Mad Money, always carry at least $50 in your wallet---for any crisis---i.e. the store only accepts cash--and ALWAYS replace--I can do that:)
-1 men's white shirt---has to be men's.  Purchase from anywhere---Brooks Brothers to Target.  For the new year, I need to get rid of my old white blouses that don't pop for a strong piece.
Songs that Nina Garcia referenced throughout book that are about fashion: (and, I downloaded onto my iPod right away.)
"Fashion" David Bowie
"Dress You Up" Madonna
"Rasberry Beret" Prince
"Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" Paul Simon
She also referenced movies I need to get on my que now too:)
"Grey Gardens"
"Love Story"
"They Won't Forget"
"Gilda"
"Barbella"
"Giant"
Insider/Historical Fashion Background:
-Instead of Safari jacket, say sahari-enne
-Instead of K-a-ki pronounce like khaki-with the hindi-urdu pronunciation-where the word derived from meaning earth-colored.
Mark your calendars for January 15th to check out the new, and improved Marie Claire website!

4 comments:

Amanda Allison said...

I have been wanting this book for so long! Nina Garcia is so stylish and intelligent; I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I've also been wanting to read Marie Claire for some time. That, and Lucky. I think these two will add a lot of diversity to my fave magazine readings!

I think I'm going to become addicted to your blog, lol. You post some great info!

Tee said...

I love MC... I am super excited that Nina is with them now. So I know its going to be an better. I love the JAn issue too. How do you get the free issues.

Tee said...

oh yeah the 100 is awesome. I started googling Hermes bracelets asap when I read that

west0360 said...

I like MC's international coverage of women's issues. Could I still get a free subscription? If so, how? Thanks!!