Thursday, January 22, 2009

Disappointment...

As a black woman, I am really disappointed about reading on New York Magazine that the Black Artists Association plans on filing an appeal to Michelle Obama's office for not wearing a black designer for the inauguration festivities.  I really can't believe this.  I don't see the need for Michelle to wear a black designer just because she is black.  What is the need?  What does it prove?  She chose a young, Asian, (which I might add is a minority in the US) male designer...I LOVE fashion...but, I agree with the ladies on the View today...why is there such a focus on fashion for her?  There is more to her than what she wears...get over it.  Sorry all....it just really makes me irritated.  There can be many positive things that come from Michelle O's fashion front (helping young designers, enhancing the economy with people shopping for looks they love on Michelle O), but there is no need for negativity.  This is the beginning of history being made-lets keep the pettiness to a minimum.  

1 comment:

Tee said...

I am upset at this too. She is wearing great young designers and unknown designers. I think its said they are doing this. She wore several unknown black chicago designers during the DNC